General information about Baru - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

General information about Baru

Hațeg Country > Baru
Location: 45°28'15.82"N,  23°10'1.98"E
    
Baru is located in the southern part of Hunedoara County, at the south-west foot of the Șureanu Mountains and Northeast Mountains of Retezat, on the upper Strei River, in the southeast of Haţeg Depression, on DN66, Petroşani - Baru - Haţeg.

History
The archaeological excavations made over time have revealed materials that testify to the presence of man here from the Neolithic, so in the place named by the locals "The Rock of the Jews", there were found ceramic fragments belonging to the Coţofeni culture, and also at the "Pârvuleștilor Church".


A Dacian fortification was discovered at the "Gruișor Fountain", and at the top of the "Petros Valley" gorge there is a Dacian tower.
The Baru village belonged  until 1851 to the Army Corps of the Border Regiment of Orlat, which was part of the Transylvanian Military Border.

Economy
    
The economy of the locality is based on wood processing industry, the building materials industry (refractory materials), trade and agro-tourism, but especially on agriculture, land cultivation and animal husbandry.

Tourist spots
The Church of "St. Profet Ilie Tesviteanul" in Baru.
Natural Reserve "Tecuri Cave" (2 ha).
Cheile (Canion) Barului.
"Maria Hord Gârbea" Folk Art Museum.
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu