General information about Cerbăl - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

General information about Cerbăl

Pădureni Land > Cerbăl
Location: 45°46'49.42"N,  22°42'50.01"E
    
The Cerbăl village is situated on a peak of the Poiana Ruscăi Mountains, at an average altitude of 815 m and is bordered to the North by the Veţel and the Bătrâna, to the East with the commune of Peștisu-Mic and the Hunedoara Municipality, to the South with the communes Lelese and Bunila and to the West with Timiș county.

The villages of the commune are: Cerbăl (commune residence), Aranieş, Feregi, Merişoru de Munte, Poiana Răchiţelii , Poieniţa Tomii, Socet and Ulm.
Cerbăl, the commune's residence, is located in the western part of the county, 38 km away from Deva and 20 km from Hunedoara.




History
In 1913 canonicul I. Radu published the "History of the Greco-Catholic Vicaration of Hațeg" (Lugoj). Dacian discoveries were made at Cerbăl, where on 8 October 1874, on the hillside of Dosul Pârlit, located on the land, on the occasion of the construction of the Govajdia-Dobra road was found a Dacian silver treasure from Burebista's time. The treasure was in a bronze pot, which in turn was in another clay pot.

The clay vessel was taken over by the Museum of Dacian and Roman Civilization in Deva, the bronze one entered the patrimony of the History Museum in Cluj-Napoca and the treasure reached the Hungarian National Museum in Budapest ... read mode here
    
Some agricultural habits confirm the presence of the Slavs in the area. Putting an egg under the first furrow of the autumn in order the wheat to grow "clean as the egg",  is a magic agricultural ritual,  also met in the agricultural customs of the old Slavs.

During the time of Ioan Corvin, the villages of Cerbăl commune are mentioned. We can be sure that the localities are much older, but their mention in the documents was only when they came to the attention of time officials: Aranies (1453), Cerbal (1476), Merișoru de Munte (1481), Poiana Răchițelii (1506) Poienița Tomii (1482), Feregi (1482), Socet (1482), Ulm (1499).

There are only natural boundaries between villages, stretched along the rivers, on the hills or in the forests.

Within the boundaries of each village there are landmarks among the villagers' properties.
In the middle of the cultivated land there is a cross, wooden or stone called "crucea țarinei", where on the day of "Nedeia", after the church service was held the sanctification service of the water with which the young men sprinkled the grain fields, in the faith of removing any evil that might have fallen over the grain.
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu