1. "Sfântul Prooroc Ilie Tesviteanul" Churchin Baru
The „Sfântul Prooroc Ilie Tesviteanul” Church in Baru, historical monument.
History and features
The communal center was created following the merging of two medieval villages: Baru Mare and Baru Mic. The church "Sfântul Prooroc Ilie Tesviteanul" in Baru Mic was built, according to a local legend, by a villager called Pârvu, with money received from a band of robbers, hence the name of the "Pârvestilor church". The massivity of the walls, corroborated with the existence of a semicylindrical stone vault, would suggest that the site belonged to the category of hațegan edifices.
The archaeological excavations carried out in 1986 did not reveal the presence of any medieval architectural element, allowing the hypothesis that its predecessor was a wooden church.
The fact was explicable, since, in ancient times, the village of Baru Mic was part of the category of serfs, with reduced material possibilities.
Therefore, the present place must have been built in two distinct stages, corresponding to the 17th-18th centuries, being mentioned as such in the tables of the ecclesiastical censuses from 1733 and 1750 and on the Iosephine map of Transylvania (1769-1773). According to the interior sculpture, in 1785 it was iconographically decorated by the famous church painter Simion Popa from Pitești: "Painted under the rule of the High Emperor Joseph II, 1785, painted by the Pope Simeon of Pitești, with all the expense of Ianăş Părvu, who gave him a saddled horse". The same painter is attributed to the decor of the temple and the icon of the patron on the southern façade of the church.
The church, listed in the 1829-1831 conscription tables, is on the list of historical monuments (HD-II-m-A-03242). Until 1948, the settlement served the united local community.
2. Other historical objectives
The Monument of Heroes of the People - the commune's center - was raised in front of the mayor's office on 6 June 1993 in memory of the heroes of Baru and Petros who fell on the battlefields in the WW2.
Monument of Heroes Lupul Valley.
War Memorial Cemetery of German soldiers dead in World War I on the territory of Baru commune, in the commune center.
Jewish cemetery of merchant Jews, in the center of the commune.
"Comărnicel" Roman Castles - from 300 x 195 m double land with waves, ditches, bails in front of the gates (archaeological site) - access to Streiul Valley.