Historical heritage in Bunila - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

Historical heritage in Bunila

Pădureni Land > Bunila
1. Historical heritage in Alun village, Bunila commune
The Church in Alun village is dedicated to the feast of the "Assumption of the Mother of God" and dates back to the 17th century. From another medieval church it is believed that were taken both the archaic form, some beams, and the Slavonic Liturgy (Dealu, 1508) of the monarch Macarie, the first book printed on Romanian soil.
    
At the same time, the local tradition speaks of a relocation of the edifice from a neighboring village.
Leaving aside these "inconsistencies," the multi-secular existence of the church is confirmed by the mention of the place in the tables of the inscriptions in 1733, 1750, 1761-1762, 1805 and 1828-1831, and on the of Josephine  map of Transylvania (1769-1773).

From the old opening on the northern side remained only the door frame (decorated with rosettes) with a sculptural "rope" profile; The same decoration features two other openings, namely the current door from the south and the missing one, on the northern side. The precarious state of painting does not allow too many stylistic explanations.
    
The painting was done in the XVIIIth century, considered to be the work of two different painters. Only one of them is known, (his name is preserved on an icon of "Mother of God Hodighitria"), "Ion Zugrav of Ardeu".

After the mural painting lost its freshness, the entire place was decorated with xylogravs.
Although consolidated in the years 1782 and 1967-1968, the edifice is currently in an advanced state of degradation. In 2008, in the hope of restoring or replacing the old wooden roof, the altar and the nave were provisionally covered with a plastic foil.


In Alun village there is also a unique church in the country and the second in Europe. Built entirely out of marble extracted from the village quarry, the church was built between 1937 and 1939 and cost about 500,000 ROL. It dominates the village and is the only one in Romania whose walls were made of this precious building material. It was painted between 1963 and 1966, and is now too much for the few elders who still live in Alun.

In the commune of Bunila we can find the church "Descent of the Holy Spirit" replaced in 1903, during the pastoral life of priest Iosif Suciu, an old stone quarry, severely damaged by a stumbling block in 1897. That public foundation is included in the tables of the inscriptions from 1733, 1750, 1761-1762, 1805 and 1819-1831 (the Josephine map of Transylvania from 1769-1773 omitted). It is a rectangular plan of edifice with three-sided polygonal apse, with a robust bell-tower, covered in galvanized sheet; The same material was used on the roof itself. The edifice, renovated in 2006, is outfitted with a knot. The access to the holy place is made by two doors, located on the south and west sides; The latter is preceded by a closed porch, plank. The interior remained unpainted, being decorated with several icons on lenm and glass.

The Museum of Pădureni or the Dragan Munteanu Museum House is organized in the residence of Dragan Muntean, a popular singer from Poieniţa Voinii, Pădureni Land ... The building itself is impressive by its architectural style. There is a line of two black oprege, soberly surrounding the body of the women and the bulky, colorful and richly ornamented shirts.
The museum collection includes traditional costumes, adornments and traditional costumes from the people living in Pădureni Land. The organization of this museum was aimed at promoting everything related to the culture and tradition of this area.

Dragan Muntean was a famous vocal soloist of Romanian folk music in Transylvania. Characteristic of his repertoire were the songs of the hometown of the Pădureni Land, Hunedoara. The artist enjoyed a great popularity in a career that lasted for 20 years.
Here is the location of two important objectives, the Marble Church and the Alun Hermitage, nearby being the Wooden Church of the Assumption
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu