Historical heritage in Ghelari - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

Historical heritage in Ghelari

Pădureni Land > Ghelari
1. The Furnace in Govăjdia
The Furnace in Govăjdia, Hunedoara County, is located at the western end of Govajdia village, 20 km from Hunedoara (10 km on the narrow railway line). The furnace is famous because there have been some cast iron components for the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and cast iron for the Eiffel tower produced in the Reșita factories. However, it should be noted that the Romanian historian Ion Bocioacă in his book "Gheorghe Pănculescu, legend and truth" contests this statement (see the bibliography). This furnace in its time was the first continous furnace in Europe and the second largest in the world.
Today it is open to visitors. The building was declared in 2000 as a monument of industrial architecture (Law no.5 of March 6, 2000) and is included on the list of historical monuments in Hunedoara County.

The construction began in 1806 and was completed in 1810. On the facade of the furnace building from the confluences of Nădrab and Runc brooks, a memorial plate bearing the inscription "Augusto Imperante Francisco I. exstructum 1810" was placed.

The amount allocated to the construction proved to be insufficient, because this sum was only enough to build the furnace, the furnace hall and the water supply.

This is why Mätz Sámuel, the owner of the blacksmith workshops with Asztalos József, the carpenter, has drawn up new investment projects that included building a home for the melting master.
2. The Stone Church in the village of Ghelari
The Ghelari Stone Church wall built in 1770, a historical monument, was built by the noble Gheorghe Berencz of Govăjdia as a gratitude to God for the healing of his wife by a severe illness.

The painting has a special significance: the images illustrating scenes from the Holy Week before Easter, and the soldiers who ridicule Christ carry the wrath of the peoples who have oppressed the Romanian people of Transylvania throughout the ages.
3. The Cathedral of Pădureni – The New Church in Ghelari
It is considered the largest Orthodox church in Romania built in rural areas. The construction of this great religious building began in 1939 under the guidance of the priest Nerva Florea, who has finished it.
The problems that Romania passed during the Second World War made the construction works of the future church hard to start.

    
In 1942 a mixed choir called "Work and Light" was set up in Ghelari, which, along with the Ghelari Mining Exploitation, gave concerts throughout the country in order to raise the necessary funds for the church's rise.

The days that followed have made the works of the future church difficult to advance. The germs of communism began to sprout in Ghelari.
The church began to be persecuted, and only the reluctance of Priest Nerva Florea, who suffered the imprisonment for his ideal "to build a great church," made it possible.

In 1960, the walls of the church were raised, starting with the painting that lasted until 1965.
The beautiful painting was made by Constantin Niţulescu with a team of five painters, his disciples, according to the iconographic icon of the Orthodox Church. The furniture was made in the Church by the sculptor Ioan Cristea from Alba Iulia. On November 4, 1973, the church was sanctified by Bishop Visarion Aștileanu of Arad.

The dimensions of the church are impressive; 47 m long, 21 m wide and 47 m tall, its plan being the Byzantine, with the Greek cross and 7 towers: two taller in the front, two at the boundary between the nave and the narthex and two at the boundary between the altar and the nave And the seventh is the dome. The iconostasis is cast in gypsum and coated with a gold leaf, as are the aureoles of the saints in the church.

All these works were done under the shepherding of Priest Nerva Florea. The founding priest has also raised many other annexes around the church, of which we mention a block of four apartments, where today there is a hermitage and a beautiful building to shelter the church museum.
Source of images for the New Church in Ghelari, here >
4. Sf. Arhangheli Stone Church, Ruda village
Other Targets
5. The "Archangels Mihail and Gavriil" Church in Ruda village, built 1653, historical monument

6. The Roman Catholic Church, dedicated to "St. Florian ", from the village of Govăjdia, built in 1802

7. The "St. Varvara" Greco-Catholic Church in Ghelari, built in 17833. The "Archangels Michael and Gabriel" church in the Ruda village, building 1653, historical monument

8. The Roman Catholic Church, dedicated to "St. Florian ", from the village of Govăjdia, built in 1802

9. The Greek-Catholic Church "Saint Varvara", built in 1783 in Ghelari

10. Iron ore reduction furnaces in Ghelari, construction of the 9th century, historical monument. The iron reduction furnace discovered in 1895 in the Valea Caselor district of Ghelari dates back to the 9th century.
It was the most advanced iron reduction system known until that time. A mock-up of it is exhibited at the London Museum of Science. The site is visible today as well.
The ore in the Ghelari area was the richest in iron on the lower course of the Danube.
In 1982 there were 19 iron extraction workshops in the Pădureni Land.
Traces of iron furnaces are visible on the territory of other localities such as Toplița and Izvoare.

The source of the images that have not been made by us, here >
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu