Historical heritage in Rîu de Mori - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

Historical heritage in Rîu de Mori

Hațeg Country > Rîu de Mori
1. Cândești Fortress - Cetatea cnezială a Cândeștilor (Cetatea de Colț) and "Colț" Church
Colt Fortressa. The Colț Fortress (Cetatea Colț) dates back to the beginning of the 14th century, when it was founded by Prince Cândea. Later, Cândea went to Catholic religion and changed his name to Kendeffy.
The fortress is located on the territory of the village of Suseni, Hunedoara, on the county road DJ 686, at the entrance in Râușorului Valley and 3 km away from the village of Râu de Mori.

The fortress was raised on a corner of the rock at the entrance of the River Gorge, around a square tower, to which was added an enclosure wall, fortified with other towers. Although it was raised for defense purposes, it never fulfilled this role, the three fortifications being too small to deal with large armies, so the fortress most likely served as a refuge in the face of conflicts between the cnezi. It has an irregular plan, adapted to the shape of relief, is provided with a massive donjon and was the most powerful fortress in Transylvania.

The Colț Fortress, whose beginnings date back to 1359, has been degraded by the collapse of the terrain in the valley, and now only retains the remains of walls, being practically a ruin. Representatives of Râu de Mori commune try to raise funds for the rehabilitation of this historic monument, which has reached its peak today.


b. The Colt Church is located in Sușeni village of "Râu de Mori" commune in Hunedoara County. The church functions as a hermitage of monks and is dedicated to the "All Saints Sunday".
Râu de Mori is an ancient settlement of cneji Romani, the place of origin of the Cândea family, recalled at the beginning of the 14th century, which played a major role in the social and political life of Transylvania and Hațeg.

2. The Noble Court of Cândești
The court of the Cândea family (the prince of the Land of Hațeg before the Hungarian administration of Transylvania) was built in the 14th century on the ruins of some ancient Roman edifices. The monument is in the center of the village, consisting of a complex of buildings comprising a residential building, courtyard, stable, annex, mill and church. The discovered materials highlight an evolution from the prehistory, the Roman period and the Middle Ages, to the present day.
3. The Church of Ostrov
This 13th century church is typical for Hațeg Country. The painting on the west portal is unique, representing Virgin Mary with Child in unusual colors: Mary's mantle is red, and the tide is green, while the baby's mantle is yellow and the green tunic. The painting, byzantine and bringing with it from Sântamaria Orlea, is dated to the 14th century.
The square tower is one of the most scenic in the area. Inside the church, some very old paintings, probably from the fourteenth century, are still vague.
4. "Sf. Cuvioasă Paraschiva" Church
Cuvioasă Paraschiva Church in Clopotiva
Cuvioasă Paraschiva Church in Clopotiva 1 Cuvioasă Paraschiva Church in Clopotiva 2
In the middle of the village of Clopotiva, two churches, the successors of a medieval stone building, taken by Calvinists in the second half of the 16th century, are rising today. In that place of worship, Zampa himself, the priest mentioned as part of the trial court in Haţeg on June 2, 1360, served: "Petrus Archydiaconus de Oztro, Zampa de Clopotiva, Balk de Possana, Dalk de Domsus et Dragomyr de Tusta, ecclesiarum sacerdotes Olachales". The beginnings of the holy place are lost in the mists of history. The kinks Neagomir and Litovoi (Litinoia), the contemporaries of Zampa, are considered to be its potential founders. In 1711, as a result of extensive renovation, to the church's old nucleus was added bell tower and the porch. In the middle of the 16th century, with the embrace of the ideas of the Reformation by the local nobility, the sanctuary was estranged, a reality suggested by the covering of the inner frescoes.

However, by specific agreement, the differences between Orthodox (later united) and Calvinists were avoided, and the church served, alternatively, until 1759, when the famous canonical visit of the united hierarch Petru Pavel Aron took place, both the Hungarian and the Romanian village community. After this date it finally went into the use of the Reformers, being mentioned as such on the Josephine map of Transylvania (1769-1773) and in the tables of the conscription from 1829-1831. The ecclesiastical censuses of 1733, 1750 and 1761-1762 had attested to being united. In 1860, when it was demolished, fragments of Orthodox frescoes from the past appeared during demolition.
5. Sfântul Ioan Botezătorul Church
Biserica Sfântul Ioan Botezătorul din Clopotiva
Biserica Sfântul Ioan Botezătorul din Clopotiva 1
The church of Saint John the Baptist in Clopotiva, Râu de Mori commune, Hunedoara County - the second building of the town of Clopotiva, dedicated to "Saint John the Baptist", was built between 1768 and 1770, during the The pastoral care of the priest Ioan Popa, on a land donated by the reformed vice-commissioners Pogány János as compensation for the old place of worship given to the reformers.
It is a rectangular plan of edifice with an undecorated semicircular apse. Above the three entrances, preceded by an open porch, there is a robust central bell tower, flanked by two thin turrets, all covered with sheet metal; Otherwise, tile was preferred.

The church, which was mentioned in the Iosephine map of Transylvania (1769-1773) and in the conscription of 1829-1831, was repaired in 1854, 1894, 1968-1969, 1978, 1987 and 2000-2009, and was painted iconographically in 2002 by the painter Ion Albulescu from Bucova (Caraş-Severin County); It was built in 1968. And this place is on the list of Romanian historical monuments.
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu