Historical heritage in Sântamaria Orlea - Hațeg Country - Pădureni Land

Go to content

Main menu:

Historical heritage in Sântamaria Orlea

Hațeg Country > Sântamaria Orlea
1. The Reformed Church in Sântamăria Orlea
The reformed church, formerly Orthodox, built in the stone by the Cândea family at the end of the XIIIth century in romantic style, made up of a rectangular ceiling craft, with a decorative tower on the western façade, a wooden tribune on the western pillars, and a rectangular altar arched in the cross on the ribs.
Inside is a set of mural paintings consisting of three layers made in three successive stages: the first, comprising two crosses of consecration, belonging even to the stage of church building. The second, the work of a peregrine painter from the southwest
of the Balkan peninsula, dated by a fragmentary inscription in 1311, to which the paintings of the nave can be attributed; The third layer of the painted altars, due, seems to be a local painter and those on the walls beneath the tribune, due to a peregrine painter of the Western formation, probably dating from the 1400s.

Access: In the village of the commune, at the entrance from the town of Hațeg, on the left side.
2. Kendeffy Castle
It is located in Sântamăria-Orlea locality in Hunedoara County. It was built by the Kendeffy family in 1782, a family of very wealthy nobles at that time, who needed a residence in the Hațeg Country. The edifice was nationalized in 1946 by the Communists, and since 1982 the castle was taken over by the Hunedoara County Administration and transformed into a hotel.

The Kendeffy family was of Cuman's origin, its first documentary attestation dating back to 1236. John, the son of Kende from Râu de Mori, was freed of any service by the Transylvanian voivode in 1406, and in 1415 he had already a noble privilege. King Sigismund gives the family blazon to the John. John had two sons, so the family split into two branches, the one of Kendeffy and Kenderessy. Both brothers have been granted the right to be defeated by King Matthias the Corvinus.
Political and economic upbringing of the family was made possible especially by marriages made with members of high-ranking nobility families, in this way the Kendeffy family acquired vast estates in the southern part of Hunedoara County in the Hațeg region. The family owned three imposing residences in the area, a printer and the Sântamăria-Orlea castle that had several construction phases.
The first written proof of the constructions made at Sântamăria-Orlea is a contract dating from 1777 concerning the construction of the edifice. At this stage of construction is also mentioned the commemorative plaque placed above the main entrance, marking the date of 1782.
Kendeffy Castle Is located near the center of the village, rises above the road connecting the villages of Râu de Mori and Sântămăria-Orlea. The building has an almost rectangular plan and is composed of three units, and draws attention to it mainly due to its monumental tower. The castle placed on a height bounded by a parapet built of stone and brick, and accessible by two ramps, has a predominantly neo-gothic appearance through the following architectural elements: tower, crenellated railing, beams, broken windows, small balcony, due to its asymmetrical composition.

The old furniture of the castle has almost disappeared. Based on the written inventory and the few photographs of the epoch, we can say that at the end of the nineteenth century, the pieces of oak-carved furniture dominated, and in the representative offices (such as the dining room and the smoking room). The pretentious furniture was also exposed to a number of art objects, books, weapons, game trophies. Using shades and painted shields, the interiors have tried to evoke the Middle Ages, this tendency joining organically the romantic way in which the facades of the building were designed.

Access: from the national road Simeria - Hațeg - Petroșani crossing the village of Sântămăria-Orlea, in the center of the village to the right on the road to Vadu and Săcel. The castle is privately owned.
3. Sfântul Gheorghe Church in Sînpetru
On this place is originally a wooden church. In the 12th - 15th centuries another stone was built on the wooden church. The southern portal was carved from the re-used Roman stone. The style of construction lies at the intersection of the Romanesque with the Gothic. Over time, however, the church has undergone numerous changes.

Access: In the village of Sînpetru, on the main road, which comes from Sânămaria Orlea and leads to Unciuc village, from the new Orthodox church, to the left on the paved road.
At the first intersection, on the left, is the courtyard of St. George's church.
source: www.ici.ro
4. Nopcsa Castle, Săcel
Nopcsa Castle is located in Săcel village, Sântămăria-Orlea commune, Hunedoara county, Transylvania. The castle was home to one of the strangest families in Transylvania. His sober architecture can still be seen in the village of Săcel (between Sântămăria-Orlea and Râu de Mori, DJ 686).
The building is in an advanced state of degradation, but still breathes the terrible history of the Nopcsa clan.

The story of the Nopcsa clan is now over. Their family, which was one of the most famous in all of Transylvania, was extinctly extinct with the LATEST NOPCSA.
The castle is not more than 200 years old, but the Nopcsa family, which had its last residence here, is documentary attested from 1367.
Săcel Castle, the former property of the family, reminds of a world in past. A world of barons and councils, carriages and castles, balls and robberies. The history of the Nopcsa clan intertwines with the past of several noble families in Transylvania, including the Hunyadi. Their name, Nopchia, which means "Night", was Magyarized after 1701 becoming Nopcsa.
5. Other historical heritage
1. The ruins of Ciopeia
At the border of Ciopea village are the traces of Roman buildings, and in the Stream bed we can see the traces of an ancient stone bridge, which was supposed to be Roman, but the latter hypotheses place it in the medieval period. The foot of the stone bridge is still visible.

2. The Royal Fortress of Hateg, read more here >

3. The Ruins of the Subcetate Church, read more here >

4. The roman road Bărăști - Subcetate.
 
This site does not necessarily represent the position of the Swiss Government, nor does it imply any responsibility on its part.
The authors are fully responsible for the published content.
Back to content | Back to main menu